Do you know your teeth can get damaged while you sleep? Bruxism is a condition commonly referred to as teeth grinding that happens while you sleep. Many people say stress is the underlining cause. However, no matter the reason, bruxism can damage your teeth and oral health in many ways.
The good news is our dentists, Drs. Atwood, Robertson and Black with Double Take Dental in Orem, Utah, is trained in helping others with bruxism. With proper treatment, you can protect your teeth and gums. To help you know if you are experiencing bruxism while you sleep, here are some signs and symptoms bruxism leaves in its wake:
- Are you often suffering from signs of bruxism at night and wake up with extreme jaw or facial pain? If so, you are suffering from what is going to sleep bruxism.
- Visual indications of sleep bruxism when you wake up can prevent themselves as fractured teeth, random cracks in your teeth, or signs of worn tooth enamel.
- If you experience a dull headache or an earache that does not affect your ears, you may be suffering from a known symptom of bruxism.
- For treatments for bruxism, visit your dentist for a bite plate therapy.
- Night guards are oral appliances that are often used to help assist with treating bruxism.
As you can see, bruxism can cause severe damage to your smile and oral health. If your teeth become damaged, you could be facing costly treatments, which is why it is always best to protect your teeth and oral health as best as you can. If you have further questions or would like to make an appointment, please call us today at 801-225-1002 to make an appointment. Our dental team is happy to help you and looks forward to your call.